Saturday, December 03, 2005

F***ing Ikea Farm Sink

Well, we found a GREAT sink for a reasonable price that we love.

Sound too easy? Yes, yes it does. One hint: It's from Ikea.

Here are some pictures. It's a double-bowled farm sink, also called an apron sink, meaning that the front of the sink sits on top of the cabinet. It's a deeper sink that has an old fashioned, kind of country look -- which can quite successfully be combined into a more modern feeling design.















At $199, the price is extremely right. Comparible sinks at Home Depot are over $1000 -- can you believe that? And a quick search on ebay yielded nothing for under $500.

The problem? Ikea is out of stock. They are not even taking names for the wait list until February. It took me 30 minutes on the phone to confirm this piece of information. (For future reference, the direct dial number to speak to someone in the kitchen department of the Twin Cities store is 952-858-8088 x 1929.) Apparently this sink used to be hand poured. But they got tons of orders, and the sink was breaking while it was being shipped (sure sign of quality!). So they started a list of orders. Then Hurricane Katrina hit, and that's where this inferior hand pouring process was happening. So they had to relocate their manufacturing plant, and also conceive of a new manufacturing method. They are just getting up and running now -- and they have a list of people from 4 months ago that they are serving first. Which leads me to the whole not taking names until February. They expect the sink to be available starting April and March for us lowly masses.

But, the price is right, and the design is great, and so we have little choice but to wait.

This blog entry gave me a little solace -- Sunday reflection: The 10 stages of IKEA. I feel exactly the same way. I am never going back to IKEA. That is, until that sink comes in.

DOH!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:38 AM

    ahh, the elusive inexpensive apron sink. I think in the end the best I could do was $600ish (being that I did my kitchen in the Pre-IKEA era) Just wait until the time comes to install it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:03 PM

    Hi Emily, thanks for setting up such an informative site.
    Can you include links to your online resouces? I would love to check out that tile shop.

    I'm curious to know how many new kitchens IKEA has installed in the metro area - AND how long it took.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:39 PM

    Here it is 2008 and Ikea does have this beautiful sink in stock in Atlanta, Georgia.And at 299.00 it is a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wondering how your farmhouse sink has done the past few years. Any problems?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sink has held up beautifully. What a deal. The only mistake we made is that we bought a cabinet for an apron sink -- which we didn't need. Basically the doors are lower than in a regular sink cabinet, so you can cut out the sink lower. But, the ikea sink is designed to sit in a regular sink cabinet. Overall, no hesitation, I would buy this sink again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought mine in 2005, I live in Montreal Canada, and it was under 400$, It is still very nice, the only problem I have is that you really have to be carefull when you wash dished, especially pots and pans, you cannot knock them on the sink because they leave marks that won't come off, I have tried millions of products.... So when people come babysit, I tell them to be careful washing the dishes! Or I make sure I at least wash the pots myself !!

    ReplyDelete