Thursday, February 26, 2009

99 degrees in Vang Vieng, Laos!

Hot damn, it's hot in the shade. Emily and I are still in Vang Vieng, Laos and we have moved out of town a few miles to a quiet bungalow on the river. I am not sure if tourism is down, or it is just a quiet time, but we have the entire place to ourselves. A small family lives on site and runs the entire place. They are also our chefs when we are around, and I love them for this.... However, last night Emily was super tired and left me at the table by myself with an entire fish, two orders of rice, and a good size dish of green curry/chicken. I did my best but later realized that I couldn't fall asleep the entire night due to my binge eating. I had a whole table of local men drinking beer across from me and looking at me like I had ordered it all.

Our first night in this party town, we witnessed two men stumbling and being helped into a back of a Tuk tuk (taxi), on with the back of his head bleeding out, and off they went. second, we noticed many people started to seem very strange and the later and darker that it got the crazier everything seemed. One group of tubers dropped off back in town all were a mess. One man fell straight to his backside, and the other tore off into a nearby restraunt, and the girl was walking downt the street like frankenstein. We know that there is a huge party scene here and that everything is available to poison yourself, but seems like many went over the edge. Emily and I just sat and watched the mayhem for a while and couldn't believe it was real.

The town is also know for their TV bars, yes, TV bars. They run episodes of Friends, Family Guy, Simpson's, and Seinfeld while you order your choice of marijuana, opium, or any mushroom blended treat you can imagine. There are dozens of these places and they were packed every day and night. Yikes....

Yesterday we thought we'd check out how an entire town can be packed with travellers just here to tube and party. We started around noon, being dropped off up river at a loud bumping bar with a deck over the river. I noticed a bunch of cables and strange ladders leading up to this tree/deck area 40 ft off the ground. IT was here that a man hands you a trapieze handle to send you swinging 40-50 ft over the viewing deck and at your decision, you can fly down to the moving river. It was incredible. I did not have enough courage in me to have a go at this, especially after watching a few unpleasant water entries. Some travellers boasted great style with laid out back flips and the occasional double. We moved down river to the junior body slinger, still sending you flying around 30ft. Good times. I am going to work on some plans to build one at the cabin. Ron said that he would help.

We are off back on our mini-moto back to the village. We miss everyone... home sickness is kicking in.

Chad and Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment