Saturday, December 03, 2011

Bathroom design inspiration

When we started this project, we had a general idea of the style that we were going for - clean, modern but not cold, timeless, natural materials, and simple lines. We started to term our desired style as Nordic modern farmhouse. But translating a general idea into specific material choices proved to be a challenge that required much time searching the internet for specific pictures of design inspiration.

I knew going in that we wanted natural materials, light colored wood, and a light filled room with neutral tile colors. But specifically, I had no idea. Looking for photos helped us to narrow down our choices.

These photos were the ones that resonated with us most, and from which we drew specific material selections.

I started to notice that I was collecting a lot of pictures of long, skinny tile that was stacked horizontally, like in this shower. I also liked the brightness of the white tile.


Chad responded to the pendant lights in front of the mirror in this bathroom. The large mirror behind the sinks makes the room look bigger and is very clean and simple. (But - we're not huge fans of the vanity - which is one of the challenges of inspiration pictures. You have to pick and choose what you like, and ignore the rest. Often I would find a picture I liked, and then ask myself, what is it that I like?)


Although this is a kitchen, this photo is the one we thought of most when selecting tile. We liked the white, horizontally stacked tile contrasted with the mid-tone gray tile floors, and the light wood flat panel cabinets.

This photo shows a similar wall tile, but (I think) in a carrera marble tile:

None of these photos illustrates exactly our new bathroom, but I think you'll start to get a sense of where we're headed.

We're excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment