Thursday, January 19, 2006

Soapstone Countertops

We've been debating on the countertops for awhile. First, we thought a dark, dark gray laminate would do the trick -- inexpensive and modern looking. Then I started to veer towards stone tile, because it would be inexpensive and a higher quality than the laminate. But now, after doing some research, we are leaning towards Soapstone. There is a great blog entry about it here.

Here is a picture of the material:





Advantages include 1) It's heat resistant 2) it's a continuous surface (unlike tiles) 3) Does not absorb any acids or foods 4) scratches can be buffed out with sandpaper if necessary 5) can be installed by the do it yourselfer, since it weighs less than granite or marble, and can be cut with woodworking tools and 6) costs less than granite or stone 7) it looks awesome!

We're super excited. Now we just need to find a retailer in the Twin Cities. Know of any?

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:24 AM

    Good Morning!
    I was searching for information on soapstone and I found your blog. I have some soapstone that I salvaged from a walk-refrigerator that was being demolished. I am going to use it to replace my coutertops, which are a dark, imitation soapstone laminate. I've cut and sanded some of the pieces and it does look good! What I don't know is what kind of adhesive to use at joints and how to secure the backsplash. Can you tell me?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kevin, I heard of people using a two-part epoxy of some sort, but we have not gotten that far yet. Good luck.. Shoot is some pics when you get it in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:43 PM

    Thanks Emily. I will let you know how it goes as I get to this task. I am going to try out two part epoxy and masonry screws, tapcons, to see how they work and if they are feasable.
    Cordially,
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I'm the person in the link above.

    If anyone still needs to know, the epoxy I used is Akemi Marmorkitt 1000-S, (black) from Keystone Tools, 800-969-0661

    Looks good, sets up a little too fast--be ready.

    ReplyDelete